Choosing your farmerswife server is like choosing between buying and leasing a car: each has specific advantages. Some companies prefer the accessibility of the cloud server, while others prefer the physical control of a local server.
What works for you today, might not suit your needs tomorrow, and each comes with a different cost structure.
In order to decide the best fit for your business, let us quickly review the advantages of both cloud server and local server:
Pros of Cloud Servers
- Scalability – The cloud allows you to easily and quickly add more storage, more memory, and more computing power. Adding any of this to an existing server is only a few clicks away and we will do that work for you
- farmerswife cloud – Hosted, maintained and supported directly by farmerswife support personnel only (product upgrades, service packs, backups, user and security management, and configuration)
- Support – Complete system administration support, incl provisioned test databases as requested for Quality Assurance
- Low Capital Expense – You’ll still need to purchase software licenses, but your investment in hardware is greatly reduced by moving to the cloud. This allows small companies to get up and running quickly.
- Security – NGINX Web Application Firewall (based on ModSecurity software) helps to protect against attacks, loss of sensitive data, and downtime due to malicious attempts
- Cloud tools platform – based on Alpine Linux Docker containers and farmerswife servers based on Ubuntu Docker containers
- Proactive backups and database analysis
- API integration capabilities for any cloud or on-premises system
Pros of Local Server
- Local servers act as a dedicated resource for your company. The entire local server is utilized by a single organization, and thus provides comprehensive control over the server
- Local servers are highly effective, as the machines can directly interact with the local server without a virtualization layer that is present in case of cloud servers.
- If CapEX is preferred to pay upfront instead of a monthly subscription
- If you have to store your data in-house for legal reasons.
Read more about our system requirements for local server here